Dexter and Lilly

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Heaven sent

I need to write about something very special that happened with our move. When we decided to try to sell both of our houses and make the permanent move to a farm, I talked a lot to my deceased father and asked for his guidance. In his time he was a genious at making great real estate deals. He also played a big role in my love of nature and animals. He took me fishing as early as I could walk, taught us to ski as toddlers, took us hiking in the woods and beaches of Northern Michigan, and he always loved a great adventure! So, naturally, with him as our guardian angel, I asked him for help. I knew that if I could make it all happen that he would be really proud of me. And I also knew what a challenge it would be in the poor real estate market that is plaguing our country. But I tried it anyway. I talked to him many times a day. I begged him for help. And within a couple of weeks we had offers on both houses! It was real estate miracle!
And when we found our new house in Clarkston, an area that we weren't even looking in, it was perfect! It was all we had been dreaming of for the last 11 years. It was a Centennial home, historic, lots of acreage, outbuildings, tons of charm and original details, etc...We jumped on it right away. So, when we closed on all three deals, we went into town to celebrate. We ate lunch at the Clarkston Union, the place where Roger took me on our first date 15 years ago! We had never been back since that date!
And we sat in the booth next to the one we first sat in. Then, a week later, I took my mom to see the house. She couldn't stop talking about how she felt my dad's presence out here. He used to sell lots right down the road from our street. And my grandfather, his dad, lived out here on a horse farm. I agreed, I felt him more than usual at the new house. And I knew that he helped us to get the deals closed! So, I took my mom to the Union for lunch too. We sat at the end of the bar and when she looked around, she saw stained glass windows right behind us. She told me to look. They say, "Here's to Ivan." then next piece, "Gone to Glory."
I couldn't believe it! Talk about signs! If you look for signs, they are there, right in front of you. Amazing! He is here, and he is our angel. I believe he looks after us all the time. My children talk about him constantly and we keep him alive in our hearts. When things are meant to be, they happen. I believe that moving here, to this place, this house, this town, was meant to be. Call it fate, call it destiny, whatever. Either way, we are home, and my dad played a role in it. Cheers to Ivan!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,
    I read your letter and beleive that your Dad is with you everyday. it is a amazing fate that you are where you always dreamed of being even when you were a little girl. Your dreams have been answered and I am so happy for you. Your new home looks wonderful and Uncle Shel and I wish you happiness and health. Keep in touch. xoxoxo Aunt Harriett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to Ivan and your beautiful family! Love you all!
    xoox
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy this touched my heart so much. I remember when you where little how much you dreamed of all you have accomplished. When I saw the picture of the stained glass window it brought tears to my eyes. You are lucky to have such a special guardian angel. I am glad you have found what you have been searching for all your life. I wish you the best. Your house is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Inspiration that helped me get here.

Keep your eye on the prize and hand on the plow. It's easy to lose sight of what you want, especially if you haven't gotten it. I know it's less work to put the wish away, to pretend that the wish itself has disappeared. But it's important to know what your prize is, because that is part of who you are. Whether it's financial stability, two children, a collection of poetry, or a happy marriage, take Winston Churchill's advice and never give in. Never give in. Never give in.



Food for thought

The increase in U.S. food prices from 1982 to 2009 rose 128%.In the same period, prices paid to farmers rose only 34%.



1 in 3 Americans born in 2000 is expected to develop diabetes in his or her lifetime.



Jargon-food sovereignty: the right of peoples to eat healthy and culturally appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and sustainable methods, and their right to define their own food and agriculture systems.

(from the declaration of Nyeleni, 2007)



32 hours, 50 minutes- The amount of on-screen media, including television, videos and video games that American children between the ages of 2 and 5 years old consume each week, according to the Nielsen Company.

A must see film

Food, INC. by Robert Kenner is a must see film. You can rent it or buy it on Amazon for $10.00.
It will change the way you shop, the way you feed your family and the way you look at food and farming in our country.
For small hobby farmers, and health conscious people alike, please, please, see this film! It is eye-opening to say the least!

Chicken-ism

I loved this so much that I had to post it. I cannot take credit, I found it on the web.




All I need to know I learned from my chickens.


Wake up early, stay busy, but always stay alert.


Visit your favorite places every day.


Scratch out a living.


Routine is good.


Plump is good.


Don't ponder your pupose in life, your brain is too small.


Accept the pecking order and you know your enemies.


Weed your garden.


Protect your children fiercely, sit on them if you need to.


Take them for walks, show them the little things, and talk constantly.


Brag on your accomplishments.


Don't count your chicks before they hatch.


Protect your nest egg.


Test your wings once in a while.


Squawk when necessary.


As you age, demand respect.


Leave a little something for those who care about you.


Chase butterflies.































































About Me

My photo
I am a busy mommy of 3. Ages 10, 8 and 6. Two crazy boys and a just-as-crazy daughter. My husband Roger and I have been married for 11 years this June. He runs a family owned Architecture company in Bloomfield Hills. I am a clothing consultant for a wonderful company. But for the most part, I am just a country girl at heart. I have an amazing love of animals, all kinds, big or small. I love nature and feeling the rythms of the earth. I love to garden and grow my own veggies and fruits. So, it was only natural that I would some day grow up and buy a farm. I am just a mommy who wants to share my passion for all things natural with my family and friends. So, we are giving it our best shot!