Dexter and Lilly

Friday, April 20, 2012

Footloose farm

So it's been two weeks in the new house in Clarkston and we are so happy. I know it may sound predictable, or even boring that I am so happy, but it's true. Truer than anything I have ever said or thought. It is wonderful here. This house has a warm and inviting presence. And all of the new residents seem happy. The kids seem happy. The pets seem happy. I guess it's not what I expected. No resistance. No real adjustment period. No tears or moodswings. Just open mindedness. We all just moved in and took possesion, mentally and physically. It's like all of us and the house were meant to find each other. Today is Friday, and I let each of my kids invite a friend to sleep over. So I picked them all up from school and now the six of them are all exploring and playing and all I hear is happy, silly kids. It's raining, so rather than being outside on dirtbikes and dunebuggy's and scooters, or chasing the animals around, they are on the WII, dancing to "MC Hammer", and gaming upstairs on the X-box. And Lilly, the mini pig, is snorting around the parlor with the dogs, thrilled to be out of her crate. Our baby ducks are on the porch in a crate, resting from their first swim today. And 5 baby chicks are in my kitchen in a make-shift brooder, cardboard box. And a wide selection of junk food is scattered on the kitchen island, which is a rare treat for anyone in this family. But in the midst of it all, I am filled with joy and gratitude. I have never been happier! This life that we have created for our family is all I ever wanted. It's full of pets, kids, friends, noise and messes and craziness. There is always something to do or get done. Always chores, and work, and laundry, and some smelly, dirty, mess to clean up. I can't even count the wide variety of poop I have cleaned up in my day! But nothing phases me anymore. I take it all in stride. Some days are more stressfull of course. But days like this, when I can just be in the moment, enjoying the chaos, these are the times to cherish. Life is short. Too short to be too busy, or too distracted to enjoy all of it's beauty. Kids are amazing the way that they have no inhibitions. They just live life. Care-free and full force! They don't worry about the future or think about the past. They are present. As adults we lose that. We forget how to be present. It's such a shame. Take time to enjoy life/ Be footloose and fancy free! Here's a good quote for the day- "Forever is composed of nows."-Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Inspiration that helped me get here.

Keep your eye on the prize and hand on the plow. It's easy to lose sight of what you want, especially if you haven't gotten it. I know it's less work to put the wish away, to pretend that the wish itself has disappeared. But it's important to know what your prize is, because that is part of who you are. Whether it's financial stability, two children, a collection of poetry, or a happy marriage, take Winston Churchill's advice and never give in. Never give in. Never give in.



Food for thought

The increase in U.S. food prices from 1982 to 2009 rose 128%.In the same period, prices paid to farmers rose only 34%.



1 in 3 Americans born in 2000 is expected to develop diabetes in his or her lifetime.



Jargon-food sovereignty: the right of peoples to eat healthy and culturally appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and sustainable methods, and their right to define their own food and agriculture systems.

(from the declaration of Nyeleni, 2007)



32 hours, 50 minutes- The amount of on-screen media, including television, videos and video games that American children between the ages of 2 and 5 years old consume each week, according to the Nielsen Company.

A must see film

Food, INC. by Robert Kenner is a must see film. You can rent it or buy it on Amazon for $10.00.
It will change the way you shop, the way you feed your family and the way you look at food and farming in our country.
For small hobby farmers, and health conscious people alike, please, please, see this film! It is eye-opening to say the least!

Chicken-ism

I loved this so much that I had to post it. I cannot take credit, I found it on the web.




All I need to know I learned from my chickens.


Wake up early, stay busy, but always stay alert.


Visit your favorite places every day.


Scratch out a living.


Routine is good.


Plump is good.


Don't ponder your pupose in life, your brain is too small.


Accept the pecking order and you know your enemies.


Weed your garden.


Protect your children fiercely, sit on them if you need to.


Take them for walks, show them the little things, and talk constantly.


Brag on your accomplishments.


Don't count your chicks before they hatch.


Protect your nest egg.


Test your wings once in a while.


Squawk when necessary.


As you age, demand respect.


Leave a little something for those who care about you.


Chase butterflies.































































About Me

My photo
I am a busy mommy of 3. Ages 10, 8 and 6. Two crazy boys and a just-as-crazy daughter. My husband Roger and I have been married for 11 years this June. He runs a family owned Architecture company in Bloomfield Hills. I am a clothing consultant for a wonderful company. But for the most part, I am just a country girl at heart. I have an amazing love of animals, all kinds, big or small. I love nature and feeling the rythms of the earth. I love to garden and grow my own veggies and fruits. So, it was only natural that I would some day grow up and buy a farm. I am just a mommy who wants to share my passion for all things natural with my family and friends. So, we are giving it our best shot!